
This is my MOST favorite time of the day! I instituted quiet time at our house the beginning of this new2011 year. Why? You ask..well for lots and lots of reasons But mostly because I want my children to learn how to quiet themselves so that they can hear heavenly father talk to them. It wasn't till just 2 short years ago that i learned the real value in quieting my body and mind through meditation. Now I know that you may argue that reading or falling asleep with a book on your head is not meditating..and I agree..but small steps with small children is the best in teaching them eternal truths! I as well take this time to read and reflect and sometimes I do fall asleep with the book on my head BUT I allways feel rejuvenated for the rest of the day. THis is how quiet time goes at our house:
1:30 Tavis and Hailey pick out a book each that they want me to read to them
1:30-2:00 we cuddle on my bed and as I feed Olivia to sleep I read their stories to them
2:00- Quiet time officially starts
The kids can choose to read for an hour or go to sleep or stare at the wall..whatever they do they know they must be quiet so that they can rest their minds and bodies.
Tavis usually lays in bed with me He listens to theAudio January Friend on the Mormon channel on my I touch with ear phones and turns the pages to the right stories in the magazine to look at the pictures. He usually falls asleep the last 10 to 20 minutes
Hailey likes to make her own space on the side of my bed where she has brought in a STACK of atleast 20 books to look at..she usually makes it through one and a half books before she is knocked out!
Olivia- Is tummy full out cold in her crib for at least 2 hours
I set my alarm in case I fall asleep for 3 o clock and at 3..usually 330 we all wake up eat a snack and then they can have play dates till 5!
This time is TOP priority in our house. I have changed play group times, cut lunch dates short, and im sure offended people with "i cant during that time"just so we can consistently renew, and rejuvenate our bodies and mind for the day. IT has changed the end of the day tone of tired, mean, impatient..to kind, laughing, patient and enjoyable. We have not missed one day in January..(except on our vacation) and at first my kiddies had a really hard time with lasting the full hour without getting in trouble..but now I think i could stretch it out to 2 if I wanted to...and sometimes I do according to our needs! I love having choice and accountability in my life as a mommy. I CAN teach my children right and good things that will help them in times in their lives when I cant cuddle up with them any more and read them books. THIS is MY TIME and I am accountable to it...I LOVE this TIME and I say BRING IT ON!!!
Dusti
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Quiet Time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great idea Dusti! Sounds so refreshing!
Post a Comment