Thursday, March 13, 2008

Photo Shoot

I love doing Photo Shoots! they are my favorite part of doing hair. I am not the type of hair stylist that likes to take clientelle day in and day out same thing over and over...I like to be way more creative with my talent..! I do that with Photo Shoots. right now I am building up my portfolio with pictures of what I like to do most a variety in all shapes and colors of...beautiful, sexy, curly, spunky, a-line, long,short, hair!! it's sooo fun to have this idea in your head, find a model, pick out the clothes, do the hair, have someone do their makeup the way you want it done and create this picture that you saw in your head. you know all the pictures you see in magazines..adds that are selling jewelery, clothes, purses, etc. those are Photo Shoots...thats what i ultimatly want to be hired out to do...sooo fun, but so much work. it wouldn't seem like it but really, there is hours and hours of work on those models and then an hour or so of shooting the right angle to catch the hair just right, the body language just right and the whole over effect just right. for example: yesterday I did two photo shoots. My first model I put extensions in her hair the night before..that took 2 hours. then yesterday I got to school at 8 AM. her photo shoot was scheduled downtown at 1:45 (should be plenty of time right?) well, one thing I learned from my last photo shoots NOTHING EVER GOES AS PLANNED. So My model finally shows up at 10. I wash her hair blow dry it and get started on the curling..I set it in pin curl pins to set the curls just right and we are out the door at 12 to get her outfit at the mall! (she didn't have time the night before to get it, as planned) But I rocked it...we were in and out of the mall in a half hour with exactly the shoes, shirt, hat and shorts needed. we got back to school at 1 and my brilliant makeup artist had been waiting for 45 minutes to get started (oops) well, I decided to cancel our 1:45 shoot time and take the 3:45 open slot!! which was perfect, we finished makeup and hair at around 3 and we were off...the shoot site was AMAZING!! it was downtown off 4th south and its an old building with amazing graffiti all over it...her photo shoot was out of this world and I am very excited to see them in a few weeks (i'll post them when I get them so you can see). My next photoshoot is scheduled for 6:15, my model for that shoot showed up as I was leaving for my first, so I had my M.A.C. make up artist work on her while I was gone. I got back to school at 4:45. traffic is bad so I need to account for that going back. we were missing a white shirt for her outfit, so we run to the local Genex and can't find a small white shirt anywhere..they were all large and medium (and this model is tiny) so luckily I find one that is hidden by someone that I think was planning on coming back to buy it later (sucker, I got it first) so we end up getting back to school at 5 and i whip out a "Dusti Do" up do in 15 minutes. and we are off!!! ( I'm starving) and we get to the photo shoot where Abby (the most amazing photographer) was wrapping up with the photo shoot before us! luckily time change had happened on Saturday and the sun was still giving us something to work with!! we got done shooting around 6:45 and there you have it...started at 8AM and allmost 12 hours later I will have 2 great pictures for my portfolio!!! I stayed for the next appointment which was for Phil...He's my little brother..I've adopted him. he's my age but...I feel like I am his big sis..he calls me his mom and his conscience, cause I keep him in line !! ( just kidden) but anyways, he's soo soo talented at hair and his model looked ridiculously amazing and his shoot should be in a magazine. it was freezing at this point and we were there till 8...then we all went to my favorite..Litza Pizza downtown, and stuffed ourselves silly, then we headed back to school where I had to clean up and then helped a teacher apply color and lock up the school. I pulled into the drive way at 12AM...LONG DAY!!! but so fun. nate watched the kids in the morning and my mother in law took the day off to help ...(she's my angel). great thing about that day is I got 16 hours in at school and thats 16 hours closer to graduation!!!! ( middle of may I should hit my 2000 hours) and then Im outa there baby!!! so excited!!

3 comments:

Didericksen Family said...

Dusti,
love the new background. You are doing so great in school. you are going to be an awesome hairdresser. We are excited for you. I will call Tyra and tell her you are ready to work on her show!
love ya
Callee

jen said...

Cute blog! You want to practice on my hair? I always love Mandy's. Jen

Jess said...

Hey Dusti, cute blog! I sent you mine on the email you have listed on facebook. If that isn't an email you use send your current address. We still need to get together for lunch... I am sorry we haven't been able to get it together :) Congrats on the light at the end of the tunnel with school. That is so exciting. Hopefully I'll see you soon.